Protecting our Consumers – Data Security
We collect personal information as part of our age-verified adult tobacco consumer database and we take protecting that data seriously. We continue to make investments in administrative, technical and physical safeguards intended to protect our information systems and data from cyber-threats, including human error and malicious acts. Our safeguards include employee training, testing and auditing protocols, backup systems and business continuity plans, maintenance of security policies and procedures, monitoring of networks and systems, and third-party risk.
Determining Magazine Advertising Placement
We advertise in magazines to build awareness of our brands with adult tobacco consumers. When selecting the magazines, we're careful to pick those publications that are predominately read by adults. Where we use print advertising (newspapers, magazines, periodicals or other publications), we are guided by the Food and Drug Administration’s proposed definition of the term "adult publication". Under this standard, an adult publication is one:
If a magazine doesn't meet these criteria, we won't advertise in it.
We offer trade programs to retailers and wholesalers that help them responsibly manage the smokeless tobacco category. Our retail trade program is built on effective category management principles, including:
- merchandising our products in an organized way;
- having our brands in-stock and available;
- having our most popular brands in the preferred positions;
- clearly communicating price and promotional offers; and
- deterring access by underage purchasers.
The program also includes several features to help prevent underage access to tobacco products that go beyond federal law, including:
- training store personnel who sell tobacco products using We CardTM or equivalent training;
- displaying We Card or equivalent signage;
- using an age verification tool;
- placing retail signage that tells adults not to buy tobacco products for kids; and
- adhering to the Smokeless Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.
In addition, we've developed rigorous compliance and training systems to govern retail marketing materials. We also limit the number of USSTC signs at retail.