USSTC today remains the only smokeless tobacco company in the country participating in this agreement.
Elements of USSTC's partnership with the states include the following:
- Providing $107 million to the American Legacy Foundation, over a 10-year period which ended in 2008, to conduct public education campaigns and other programs to reduce underage tobacco use and substance abuse;
- Prohibiting taking any action, directly or indirectly, to target youth within any settling state in the advertising, promotion or marketing of tobacco products;
- Barring the use of cartoons in advertising, promotion, packaging or labeling of tobacco products;
- Barring most forms of outdoor advertising, including billboards and stadium signs;
- Barring most forms of transit advertisements, such as those on taxis and at bus stops; and
- Prohibiting the distribution of apparel or other merchandise such as caps, shirts and backpacks bearing tobacco brand names and logos.