Our objective is to reduce the environmental impact of our business and promote the sustainability of the natural resources on which we depend. We are a company closely connected to the land. We try to be good environmental stewards and maintain responsible practices for the benefit of our stakeholders, including the communities in which we operate.
We have adopted environmental policies that provide specific environmental guidance for employees. These policies address topics including air emissions; environmental assessment; hazardous materials; and waste, wastewater and storm water management.
We are managing our business to support Altria's 2016 goal targets based on a 2011 baseline:
- reduce energy use by 10 percent;
- reduce Scope 1 and Scope 2 Greenhouse Gas emissions by 20 percent;
- achieve 50 percent water neutrality;
- achieve 95 percent recycle rate from our facilities and five percent waste to landfill; and
- remove 5 million pounds of packaging materials from our products.
U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company is fully integrated into Altria’s environmental management framework.
Read more about Altria’s approach to the environment