U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company has made packaging and advertising changes to comply with federal law.
On June 22, 2009, President Obama signed legislation granting the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the authority to regulate tobacco products.
The law mandates that smokeless tobacco packages and advertising include the following:
- Mandatory health warning statements on 30 percent of the two principal display panels of packages
- Mandatory health warning statements on 20 percent of the area of advertising materials
- "Sale only allowed in the United States" on package labels and shipping cases
- The percentage of foreign and domestic tobacco on packages
- The name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer or distributor on packages
- An accurate statement of the quantity of the contents on packages
To comply with the law, USSTC made changes to its smokeless tobacco product packaging and advertising.